[talk-au] SSSI National Bushfire Recovery Map-a-thon - Sunday 9th Feb

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 13:31:13 UTC 2020

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 20:39, Ewen Hill <ewen.hill at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will be attending Melbourne however I have deep reservations about this
> and that doesn't include the Waiver which is key to the entire project.
>
>   The states have sent out a rapid impact assessment teams to all areas
> now and have followed up with detailed analysis in most. We know what has
> been damaged, destroyed and what was inhabited, what wasn't and what other
> assets were damaged. We also know the structure type, bedroom count etc.
> Any updates on Sunday are not going to help anyone in social services,
> council, planning, asbestos removal. I honestly don't know what benefit
> this will be and as Warin correctly stated, updated.

Agreed.

> The removal of buildings and rubble including asbestos will take
> significant time. What is there now, may not be there in 6-12 months and
> the map will be out of date.

While that's true, I don't see that a reason not to try. In my eyes it's no
different to someone who maps out all the shops in a retail area, which
also will go out of date quickly.

> The other thing to remember is to respect those who have lost everything
> don't need to see damaged/destroyed  on their property as they try and
> rebuild it.
>
> I do see benefit in mapping commercial premises and public assets that
> have been affected.
>
> I would like to see something a bit smarter than this. Something that can
> assist people on the ground now would be highly beneficial. A "Hell yes, we
> are open" web-site that *small *businesses can advertise would be great.
> A whole lot of other things could be done well before adding a temporary
> updates. These towns are going to really struggle in winter and people
> drift off.

Maybe an effort to get these rural businesses mapped in OSM, with all the
frills that go with that, website, contact phone/email, opening hours.
Being on the map would help bring customers in the door.