[talk-au] A22 route Sydney

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 01:49:15 UTC 2020

Hi Aleksander,

Great question.

The sign just before the turn off to Wattle Street would suggest A22
continues past Wattle Street.

The sign on Ambercombie could just indicate A22 is in this direction, not
necessarily that as soon as you take that left turn you're immediately on
A22, but this is unclear.

It's important to note the absence of the A22 sign further up as well. For
example
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=-33.882597222222216&lng=151.2015055555555&z=18.505438856592097&signs=true&focus=photo&pKey=sez5V0Lx69QCzWZTL9vc3A&x=0.5093545685476883&y=0.5092270666335159&zoom=0
makes
no mention of A22 for the right turn from Harris Street to Broadway.

When you add all this up it's quite unclear where A22 starts.It's in a grey
area, could be anywhere from City Road and Lee Street (including those
intersections).

As a rule of thumb I'd rather map it in OSM based on how it's signposted on
the ground, but in this case it's arbitrary.

I can see how it's logical to place it at City Road, and RMS information
may even indicate this, but I'm struggling to ignore that sign before
Wattle Street indicating A22 continues.

In the meantime I just emailed the RMS contact email with this evidence to
ask if any of the signs are wrong or if the map they have for the route
refs is wrong.