[talk-au] Bushfire mapathon - kudos

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 10:18:18 UTC 2020

John,
    Thank you for the kind words and thank you to all of those behind the
scenes who got the mapathong over the line,,,just.

    A special note of appreciation to Oscar So who worked
diligently throughout the day to make the Melbourne meetup run smoothly and
answer a myriad of questions from newbies to QGIS experts. Thanks Oscar

Ewen

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 15:58, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wasn't able to attend the SSSI National Bushfire Recovery Map-a-thon
> yesterday, but thanks to the open-access chat, I was able to follow along
> as an observer as I had time. It sounded like it went well, with a lot of
> participation, including a large number of people encountering
> OpenStreetMap for the first time.
>
> I want to shine a bit of a spotlight on Andrew Harvey, Phil Wyatt, and
> Ewen Hill. They each put in a considerable effort in making the event a
> success: securing waivers, answering questions from organisers, providing
> technical support, and helping new mappers find their way.
>
> When the event organisers had some difficulties due to unfamiliarity with
> the OSM project & community, Andrew, Phil, & Ewen really stepped up at
> short notice to make sure that new mappers had a great experience, handling
> themselves professionally and staying positive & productive throughout.
> And, I'll note - they're not done yet, these guys are still working on
> waivers, data cleanup, and lessons learned, even after most of the event
> participants have moved on.
>
> Great work you guys. Made me feel proud to be part of such a great
> community.
>
> Cheers
> John

Warm Regards