[talk-au] foot/bicycle = yes/designated (was Re: TfNSW Cycleways use in OSM)

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 06:11:50 UTC 2020

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 15:59, Andrew Davidson <theswavu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/02/2020 3:44 pm, Ash Logan wrote:
> > In line with this, I've drafted an osmosis TagTransform file that can
> > turn the raw TfNSW dataset (after being run through JOSM's OpenData
> > plugin, for example) and turn it into the usual OSM tagging schema.
> > Check it out:
>
> Question: do we have a community view on what exactly the difference is
> between access yes and access designated?

I hold the view that access=yes just means either physical or legal access
is allowed (or at least not forbidden), whereas access=designated implies
that it's signposted or otherwise explicitly designed/used for/by that mode.

This view is backed up by what
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access says about designated

So in ACT the footpath would be bicycle=yes since bicycles are allowed on
the footpath, but it's not a designated path for bicycles. A cyclepath
would be bicycle=designated since it's signposted/designed for that mode of
transport.

Same goes for wheelchair=yes/designated (okay for wheelchairs vs.
signposted for wheelchairs), or lanes:bus=yes/designated, one says the bus
can use the lane, the other says it's an explicit/signposted bus lane.