[talk-au] TfNSW Cycleways use in OSM

Ash Logan ash at heyquark.com
Sat Feb 22 21:19:49 UTC 2020

Hey Andrew!

On 22/02/2020 10.07, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> Hi Ash, it's great to see some interest in improving bicycle
> infrastructure in OSM!
>
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 15:46, Ash Logan <ash at heyquark.com
> <mailto:ash at heyquark.com>> wrote:
>
> For me it's more that we already have a lot of cycle infrastructure
> mapped which is constantly being updated and improved so if anything
> TfNSW data should be treated as a guide only and not the only source of
> information especially for indications of missing or removed cycle
> infrastructure.Understandable! So far I've mostly been using it to "point out" infra on
aerial, and deal with some of the boilerplate tags. I don't think it
should be trusted over recent imagery or a survey that says something
*doesn't* exist.

> cycleway:width on a cycleway=shared_lane doesn't make a lot of sense to
> me, is that the road width? in which case it's just width=, or is it the
> lane width?
I took a quick look through the data and a lot of the lanes and on-road
bits appeared to have the lane width rather than the road width, which I
guess makes sense because you're only interested in the lane as a
cyclist. A better tag would probably be width:lanes, but that needs
information I don't have in this dataset (other lanes, lane ordering,
etc.) and makes cycleway=shoulder a bit confusing.
Mappers using this should definitely check the width tags anyway, a lot
of them don't seem right to me.

> After a quick scan it looks like a cycle route is marked as
> cycleway=shared_lane, though generally I'd only add cycleway=shared_lane
> if there is some kind of bicycle marking on the ground, is that reasonable?
I'd agree - that's what I thought was going on? I understand shared_lane
as when they paint a bike in the leftmost lane of a road, or in the
middle of an alley/small residential road.
With that said, TfNSW's definition - "On road facility type shared with
moving vehicles" - is a lot vaguer, so I wonder if they're tagging some
unmarked routes..

-Ash
--
https://heyquark.com