[talk-au] Addresses/street numbers

Michael Shafer mshafer3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 00:02:53 UTC 2020

Hey everyone,

I noticed that street number information is quite sparse around where I live in Sydney, then saw it’s because the GNAF license is incompatible with OSM (as tracked by @aharvey here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_data_catalogue).

This is pretty unfortunate as it means address search and routing tools can only point you to the street, but not the individual property. (Noticed when trying to geocode my own address!)

Does anyone know of other techniques for getting address information at scale? e.g. does Mapillary try to detect street numbers from street-level imagery?

Interestingly Mapbox does have street numbers where I live, I wonder where they are getting that information.

Thanks,
Michael