[talk-au] RapID roads now available for Australia

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 02:02:43 UTC 2020

On 05/01/2020 00:39, Dion Moult wrote:
> I came across some feedback on the quality of RapID in Australia:
>
> https://en.osm.town/@rory/103419495240060182

"detecting walls as roads" was pretty much the original problem with
Facebook AI additions to OSM (in Egypt), and that had to be completely
reverted.  That situation is different to this though - with their
current version they're using humans to sanity check the suggested
additions and press the button, so _hopefully_ we won't see the same
issues as then.

That said, in other circumstances ("suggested tag edits" by iD and some
of the ropier MapRoulette challenges) we do see some pretty iffy
human-validated edits going through, so it does make sense to keep an
eye on these.

> On Sun, Jan 05, 2020 at 11:34:04AM +1100, Sebastian Spiess wrote:
>>     HI,
>>
>>     it is now, however it seems they did not use the NSW LPI images but
>>     their own...
>>
>>     Australia 2019-12-30 Facebook's Map With AI - Maxar Imagery

That's also an issue on the other side of the world in the UK.  I had a
look at an army base up the road from me that had lots of unmapped
service roads on it.  RapiD did detect some of the missing roads (and to
be fair I didn't see many false positives), but what it did detect was
significantly offset from "known good" imagery.  Again, I guess an
experienced mapper could correct that, but it might need a bit of
education first.

Best Regards,

Andy