[talk-au] tagging burnt areas

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:13:20 UTC 2020

I would only be replacing any known houses and outbuildings with
buildling=ruins. There are a number of old bridges that fall probably under
this category along railtrails etc.  however the bush and grasslands will
regrow ... unless it happens to reburn again this season.

  In Victoria over 1000 buildings have been damaged or destroyed however
some areas are yet to be checked. This will change the fabric of some
Victorian towns. The Clifton Hill school with around 15 children may never
be rebuilt with children now commuting to Bairnsdale.

   All the other .infrastructure will probably return although there is
5,500km of roads to be cleared of dangerous trees and some crews are doing
only 3km per day due to the dangerous state some trees are in.

  I would be looking at reverting any change-sets that have
brownfield/burnt other than the building=ruins

Ewen

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 21:07, Andrew Davidson <theswavu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 7:51 PM Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I have thought about if we should map burnt areas, it's tricky because
>> while it is surveyable, it changes quickly and the point at when it changes
>> to no longer burnt is subjective. For those reasons I do think it's better
>> to store this in another database not OSM. There you can capture the burn
>> date and degree of the burn.
>>

>  This was what I was thinking. You'd have to somehow tag when an area was
> burnt and to what degree it was burnt. Not really something I'd expect to
> see in OSM.

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill
Internet Development Australia