[talk-au] OSM Way & Govt Street (centerline) Correlation, how?

Andrew Hughes ahhughes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 01:58:29 UTC 2020

Hi All,

First time poster and very new to OSM so please feel free to throw anything
at me you think I should educate myself on.

I'm currently the GIS Lead at the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (HNVR).
We're very serious about adopting OSM for some of our needs. However, our
OSM adoption is largely dependent on a minimum correlation between the OSM
ways and the streets found in Government centerline/road datasets (States
and/or LGAs).

Q: Would anyone be able to provide me with some insight as to what we might
expect when looking to achieve the correlation we need? Please be aware,
our intent is to contribute and "close the gap" but we need to know if/how
this can best be done in a cohesive way within the OSM community. *I'm also
aware there may be licensing issues, please overlook these for now.*

The NHVR are quite serious about what it hopes to achieve in the next 12
-24 months through GIS and we are very enthusiastic to learn and contribute
to OSM. I hope to be speaking with you a lot more in the near future.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Hughes