[talk-au] OSM Way & Govt Street (centerline) Correlation, how?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 09:31:32 UTC 2020

Hi Andrew,

Just to add what others have said already,

> OSM adoption is largely dependent on a minimum correlation between the
OSM ways and the streets found in Government centerline/road datasets
(States and/or LGAs)

Could you elaborate on what exactly you mean by that or what specifically
you're aiming to achieve?

For example could you use a map matching algorithm to match OSM data to
other road network data but since there will always be differences between
multiple datasets that's never going to be perfect.

Graeme mentioned on/off ramps, but more generally there could be
differences in how the centerline is represented. For example, OSM splits
ways where there is a physical separation, so you might find other datasets
just have one centerline, but OSM would have two parallel ways for each
direction. The transition between these two modes is never ideal either.
This isn't saying one is necessarily wrong but rather have different
guidelines on where the line should be drawn.

The other consideration is that most states we only have access to GPS or
satellite imagery to derive road geometries from so the geometry accuracy
in OSM isn't necessarily as great as survey grade data.