[talk-au] Working with local government

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Jul 9 09:52:58 UTC 2020

Jul 9, 2020, 06:50 by greg.dutkowski at gmail.com:

> Hi,
> Bicycle Network Tasmania are trying to improve the quality of cycling infrastructure information in OSM.
> Much has been done by volunteers in various jurisdictions, and we have done lots locally, but the tagging is quite complex for cycle paths and not always correct.
> Local councils are responsible for much of the infrastructure, but they usually have little interaction with OSM.
> It would be most efficient if the councils GIS data worked in tandem with OSM data so that they kept each other up to date, each storing the info that is most useful for them. For instance, for bike parking, there is little utility in OSM storing the asset numbers and other info that the councils use to maintain their assets (although the ref tag could be used as a foreign key to help keep the two in sych).
> The Hobart councils we work with are concerned with the quality of the data in OSM and the ability of anyone to change it.
> Does anyone know of any examples we could learn from of local government itself working to keep OSM data up to date?
> Thanks.

One of the easiest things that local government may do is to

1) publish their datasets on an open license allowing to use it by mappers
2) react to reports of mistakes in their data

Both work relatively well in Poland for address data - with publishing required by
national law (though still ignored be many local governments)

Note that (1) is useful for mappers even if data quality is unsufficient to import it
into OSM. I am using a bit noisy bicycle parking in locating unmapped ones
(often location, description and real location mismatches significantly, but
almost always it allows me to find something that was missing in OSM)