[talk-au] Aboriginal languages

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 04:11:39 UTC 2020

Suburbs boundaries are set by an authority.  They are verifiable - even if
not by ground truth.  They are accurately measurable and surveyable.  This
is the nature of the land system that we have worked within for centuries,
and which OSM reflects.  So they fit right in.

It's possible that Aboriginal lands are not so precisely defined.  There
may not be definite authority.

Rather than being "criminal" to not include them.  It just might mean it's
not the best database structure to model this data.  It even might be
presumptuous of us to assume that this model of mapping is even appropriate
to map this data.

Of course, if there is a usable, measurable form of this data, then sure,
lets do it.  I'm simply saying that there are many items that don't
naturally fall within OSM data for a number of reasons.

Ian.