[talk-au] How to tag plantations?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 00:58:52 UTC 2020

On 18/6/20 6:48 pm, Little Maps wrote:
> Many thanks Warin, that seems much more variable in Vic, esp in Gippsland where natural=wood is a common tag for areas tagged as State Forests. Plantations in SW Vic are quite a mix. I wonder if it’s worth adding a section to the Aus tagging guidelines page to specify a preferred usage for landuse=forest and natural=wood, and perhaps other vegetation tags? I’d be happy to draft some text if more seasoned mappers were happy to comment and edit it. Thanks again Ian

Tread here carefully Little Maps!

I would like to see the following use:

natural=wood for areas of trees. Note the key 'natural' applies to both natural and man altered areas.

landuse=forest for areas that are maintained by humans to obtain tree produce e.g. timber. Note these areas usually have trees, but after harvest may have no trees.

Note there may be some who disagree with this, see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Forest.

I would be interested to here of any Australians who disagree with the above, and why they disagree.