[talk-au] "All Bicycles" signage and the associated permissions

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jun 19 13:12:25 UTC 2020

Jun 19, 2020, 14:58 by suburbansilvervlogs at gmail.com:

> highway=cycleway
> oneway=yes
> surface=paved

Can you consider using more specific surface? Like surface=asphalt?

>  I'm curious to whether the road beyond should be tagged with bicycle=no up until the next intersection. For instance, the first example would be tagged bicycle=no from the ramp until Tumbi Road. Whilst bicycles are not explicitly prohibited, the logical result from requiring cyclists to leave the carriageway is that they aren't allowed on the road, and I'm wondering how to replicate that properly in OSM so that routers can understand.

Is there any case where cyclist would be allowed to use the road (for example - cycling is some
specific direction requires using road as bikeway is not going there), but generally
sidepath should be used whenever possible?

In such case bicycle=use_sidepath would be better match.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle%3Duse_sidepath

If it is impossible for cyclist to legally enter road in any way then bicycle=no is correct.

Note that in some cases bicycle:forward / bicycle:backward may be needed
(if situation differs depending on a direction).