[talk-au] "All Bicycles" signage and the associated permissions

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 13:47:46 UTC 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 23:30, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Can you point to any of your research that says these are legally
> enforceable? I always thought these were advisory, or at least guidance for
> those using the cyclelane, if you're cycling in the traffic lane does that
> still apply? A motorway or tunnel which is signposted no bicycles is
> clearly bicycle=no but I think we should see further if this is really
> bicycle=no or just bicycle:advisory=no. I'm very keen to find out.

For NSW at least I couldn't find anything which mentions these signs, only:

"The rider of a bicycle riding on a length of road with a bicycle lane
designed for bicycles travelling in the same direction as the rider must
ride in the bicycle lane unless it is impracticable to do so."
"The rider of a bicycle must not ride on a length of road or footpath to
which a no bicycles sign, or a no bicycles road marking, applies."

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2014/758/part15/rule247
https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2014/758/part15/rule252