[talk-au] Postal addresses

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 04:25:45 UTC 2020

On 20/3/20 9:13 am, Andrew Davidson wrote:
> On 20/03/2020 7:54 am, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>>
>> which does *not* imply that if there is a addr:housenumber there
>> should be no addr:housename, but on the contrary indicates that the
>> two properties can be used at the same time.
>>

> That's also how I read it.

The Karlsruhe_Schema says
|addr:housenumber| or |addr:housename|

|https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema|

|As that is the proposal I went with it.

|Also on the discussion page too ...|
|https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema#Why_is_there_addr:housename_when_name_is_perfectly_fine.3F|

|https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema#number_.2Aor.2A_name.3F|

|To me the above say that the addr: is a postal thing i.e. the address
used by postal services, the physical address may be something different?|
|The addr: is not 'well defined' hence this confusion.
|
|There is also mention of PO Boxes for addr:full that implys that it is
a postal address not a physical location...

|Not good...
|

|The Barkly Homestead certainly does not have a physical address of

"PRIVATE MAIL BAG 32
Tennant Creek

Northern Territory  0862"

https://www.barklyhomestead.com.au/

Regarding

contact:mail

~ 120uses.. no wiki page and no mention of it on the contact page.

The contact page also says other tags are more popular.

However for mail there appears to be little use other than mail:franked
(no wiki page)

mail:stamped mail:first_class etc I assume this is something to do with
posting not the address that a place uses.

All in all a bit of a mess.