[talk-au] What do you prefer for Barmah-Millewa: swamp or wood?

cleary osm at 97k.com
Wed May 13 00:02:58 UTC 2020

You are right to point out that OSM offers a different choice of options compared with the NSW LPI BaseMap. Some time ago, when I couldn't find a legend on the BaseMap, I contacted NSW Spatial Services and I was directed to https://portal.spatial.nsw.gov.au/portal/apps/sites/#/home/pages/map-viewers where the NSW Map is shown with an explanatory legend.

In regard to swamps etc., the BaseMap shows only (1) land subject to inundation, (2) swamp-wet and (3) swamp-dry. I have studied the map and satellite imagery in other parts of NSW and I have visited some areas.

As you have note, the BaseMap's "swamp-wet" does not differentiate the vegetation in the areas. After studying satellite imagery, I have mapped such areas in which trees are a significant features of the vegetation as natural=wetland + wetland=swamp. However where the vegetation has few or no trees and has more grass-type growth, i have used natural=wetland + wetland=marsh.

The LPI BaseMap's "land subject to inundation" equates closely with natural=wetland in OSM and "swamp-dry" (seen in drier areas of the state rather than in the Murray River area) seems best mapped in OSM as natural=mud.