[talk-au] PSMA Boundaries

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 23:49:18 UTC 2020

I didn't read the whole issue at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/103 but it looks
like

"Since both PR #2816
<https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/2816> (render
labels on settlement place nodes and areas) and PR #2939
<https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/2939> (only
render settlement place nodes on areas if there is no node with the same
tags inside) were rejected, I'm closing this issue." so basically the style
maintainers don't render place labels when mapped as an area. You can add a
node inside the area with the same place tag and then make sure to add that
node as a member of the relation with role label (so data consumers can
avoid duplicates and know it's the label for the area).

For example see how the relation for
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3044806 also has a label member
which is the node https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/117202372. I think
this is the best solution as data consumers who want to place a label can
get better hints on where the label should be, but you still have the area
which is a better representation for suburbs.