[talk-au] Re-tag rural residential roads to unclassified?

cleary osm at 97k.com
Fri Oct 2 06:56:17 UTC 2020

I usually tag such roads in rural areas as highway=unclassified.

I would use highway=residential for towns, suburbs or outer-suburban areas with residential housing or large housing blocks up to about 2 hectares - where the landuse is primarily residential or other urban use such as commercial.

In rural areas, the land is usually used for agricultural or other purposes, with a few buildings on each farm. I would not regard this as residential and I would use the "unclassified" tag.