[talk-au] vine row tagging

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 06:34:20 UTC 2020

Thanks Graeme, I appreciate your response, answers to your questions below.

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 13:32, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you need to?

Well, they want to map rows, to use OSM in a way that will be useful to the
viticulture community. The idea is to add more detail to vineyards than is
currently in OSM, which has vineyard areas but not rows.

> I think it could be automatically assumed that all vineyards have their
> vines in rows, approx the same distance apart?

To some degree, but for viticulture people it would be useful to use
*actual* rather than assumed locations.

> I noticed vine_row_orientation
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:vine_row_orientation>=* : vine
> row orientation (in degrees)on the wiki page - wouldn't that be sufficient?

That seems good for vineyard areas, but isn't needed for rows, which is
what we're trying to figure out tagging for.

> For vine *rows* (ie. the linear features within the vineyard), we've had
>> suggestions of natural=tree_row,
>>
> If you were going to put a tree_row on every row of vines, you'd have
> nothing but a solid mass of them!

Referring to the OSM carto rendering? That's a good point. What else could
we use to describe a vine row?

> denotation=agricultural,
>>
> Sorry, not sure what you mean with this?

This was a suggestion that came to us, it's relatively commonly used for
trees and tree rows, but I'm not sure if it makes sense for vine rows,
which is why I'm asking :)

and crop=grape,

> Marked as being redundant as all vineyards grow grapes! :-)

Yes I agree for vineyards. But specifically thinking about vine rows for
this tagging.

I guess these comments raise the question, do features like vine rows
belong in OSM? Does the difficulty in finding a tagging schema for vine
rows point to an incompatible feature type? I had assumed that because
they're readily observable on the ground, and relatively persistent, it
would make sense to map them... but if there's a reason they shouldn't be
in OSM it would be good to know, so the folks I'm helping can change course.

Cheers
John