[talk-au] vine row tagging

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 07:23:36 UTC 2020

Thanks Adam,

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 14:44, Adam Steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the owners of the properties containing vines saying? Are they
> fully aware that their farm data will be open for everyone to see?

This is part of a viticulture community-driven project to build consensus
around use & sharing of data, and part of the discussion is around data
ownership and openness. The project has the Australian Farm Data Code [1]
as one of its guiding principles, so it's definitely on the radar. I'm not
running the project myself, but helping to answer some of the questions
about open geospatial (hence this query!).

> ...and what data/tagging useful to them?

Re: data, starting with vine rows as a first step, but possibly farm
tracks, fences, and other infrastructure might be useful later, of course
depending on its suitability for OSM.
Re: tags, I think the viticulture community is pretty non-fussed about what
specific tags are used, as long as they can use OSM and do the right thing
by the OSM community.

Cheers
John

[1] https://nff.org.au/programs/australian-farm-data-code/