[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:11:45 UTC 2020

Generally I'd just leave a gap in the highway=footway/path where it
starts/ends, but others might add a path here "tagging for the router" so
that routing works, but if that's done it must have trail_visibility=no (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:trail_visibility) which says it's a
pathless path.

However looking at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/813749214#map=14/-35.7301/148.5665 it
does look like there is a path already mapped there, so perhaps we need a
better way to say the signage says don't use the existing track, instead go
off track and find your own way, but hard to do when there is a worn path
already though.