[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

Phil Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Thu Oct 22 08:36:25 UTC 2020

Personally, as an ex Parks Track Management Officer, I have actively removed unformed, off track tracks from OSM. There are frequently management plans for such areas where active promotion of the “tracks” is discouraged and book authors are also encouraged to not mark the track in their guide books.

It’s about ensuring that such off track opportunities are available in the future and that there is no “invitation”, and to ensure levels of use that prevent major impacts.

Cheers - Phil,
On the road with his iPad