[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Oct 23 10:09:43 UTC 2020

23 Oct 2020, 11:59 by forster at ozonline.com.au:
> A licence condition for data users is that they have a public policy for the Don'tRender tag
> 'That is fortunately impossible' why is it impossible?

Technically it is possible but it would require licensechange that would be problematic
both from legal viewpoint (making such rule effective
would be tricky at best)and unlikely to be accepted by osm community.

It is not impossible as in "can be established
with math proof to be illogically and therefore impossible"
but impossible as in "I will stop conflict in
Middle East by posting on Twitter'.

> 'Note that deleting existing paths with "I do not want them rendered" is not an acceptable edit'
> I don't think anybody suggested it was.

This "solution" regularly appears in such
topics about illegal or unwanted paths.
> 'Russia does not get to decide whatever their military bases can be mapped and rendered in OSM.'
> Nobody said that Russia should should be able to

It was just proposed that owners or operatorĀ
of an area would be able to suppressĀ
rendering of objects there.

> Its a point for discussion. What do you think should happen?

Paths existing but illegal to use should
be marked and tagged with access tags.

Path destroyed should be deleted from OSM.

Paths but existing should not be mapped in OSM.

> Why single out Russia?

AFAIK they have laws forbidding mapping
locations of military bases.