[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Fri Oct 23 20:24:23 UTC 2020

Quoting Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>:

> It's just after hearing park authorities raise concerns about us showing
> un-authorised tracks on OSM, my reaction is usually how are we or anyone
> supposed to know which tracks are authorised and which aren't unless there
> is signage to indicate that.

Hi Andrew
Trail closed signage will be rapidly destroyed, often in a few days.
Placing trail closed signage at a trail start makes the start of
illegal trails more visible and attracts traffic. A park will often
have signage at all entrances which says "keep to formed trails" which
can be ambiguous especially to a mapper who believes in mapping
everything.

Parks will refer you to a copyright map of legal trails and have
difficulty understanding why you can't use that as evidence.

Tony