[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

Greg Lauer gregory.lauer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 01:14:04 UTC 2020

Within this group we are 'experienced' mappers and in most cases familiar
with the various OSM mapping tools, and may even use these to plan a trip.
Where is the general public use apps (such as MapsMe, Guru ect) that are
really dependent on what the apps render displays. I have not seen any apps
that, for example, display any attribute (or graphic) to show a track is
closed.

So the tagging of trails is not visible to most users, and we have the
issue of maintaining the tags as they are usually fluid (open, closed etc),

The real world example for me is riding in the local forest in SE QLD and
seeing other riders blindly following MapsMe on tracks that are closed (and
tagged as such but not visible on the map).

I am not suggesting a 'tagging to render' regime but just tagging a trail
as closed is not having the effect we think it does. Short of adding an
attribution to the trail name I am not sure how we resolve? Example xyz
trail [Closed]

It would be great to see our state land management agencies follow the lead
of DoC in NZ (https://www.doc.govt.nz/our-work/maps-and-data/) or USGS (
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70192717) and make the relevant data
open (and current!), and encourage crowd sourcing.

Greg