[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 04:56:17 UTC 2020

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 at 15:49, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> 24 Oct 2020, 00:34 by andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com:
>
> I can sympathise with the park operator, why should they have to be
> constantly monitoring for any signs of a track anywhere in the park and
> installing signage everywhere, why can't they say these are the areas we
> authorise everywhere else is not authorised, I guess they can install
> signage to that effect. I guess that's one use case there of OSM for park
> operators, it can help alert you of where tracks are forming that you might
> not have intentionally created.
>
> If protected area has rule "access is illegal
> unless
> signed otherwise" or "access allowed only on
> signposted trails" then such way-specific signage
> is not necessary to use access tags.

At least for NSW from my understanding of the relavent legislation
https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/sl-2009-0427
you're
free to go anywhere in the protected areas managed by NPWS unless the area
is marked as closed "by means of notices displayed in, or at the boundary
of, the park or part of the park to which the notices relate or by means of
written notices given to park users". So there is no default "access is
illegal unless signed otherwise" it's the opposite "all access is legal
unless signed otherwise".

There are some protected areas where access is restricted unless you have a
permit like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/484516919, but these are rare.

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 at 15:51, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> 23 Oct 2020, 22:24 by forster at ozonline.com.au:
>
> Are there nature reserves in Australia with
>
> rules

"no access allowed unless signed otherwise"?

Per above, I'm not sure about other states, but generally my understanding
is this is not the case in NSW.