[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 19:06:27 UTC 2020

On 24/10/2020 04:49, Brendan Barnes wrote:

> Back to my original post which I was seeking advice on, I was
> requesting clarity of mapping an official hiking route, which a small
> section of it happens to not follow a defined track/path and a compass
> bearing is required. The hiking route is _official_: it has NSW NPWS
> signage which I have personally surveyed at the start of the segment
> denoting the "off track" route, the Australian Alps National Parks
> Cooperative Management Program publishes a map also detailing it, and
> all popular hiking guides have it listed, too. This small off track
> section forms part of the official route.
>
> I've taken Andrew's advice and added fuzzy=500 to the way.

Thanks - there's nore usage of that than I was expecting (see
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/fuzzy ), although only 14 of
those are lines rather than polygons.

On the other side of the world I've tended to use trail_visibility tags
(which I think were mentioned earlier) to achieve the same thing; see
e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/430909045 .  Something that
renders the route but not the local path will show that as
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=54.40165&lon=-0.93245
.

Best Regards,

Andy