[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

Little Maps mapslittle at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 01:16:24 UTC 2020

Hi Kim, I don’t believe this problem would exist given the use case described in the text, which is as follows...

A mapper has evidence from a legal source (eg Bing, Strava, GPX trace) of a track which they are contemplating adding to OSM. Should they decide to add it, then the source:geometry tag would be Bing etc, as normal.

If they find a management plan that provides adequate reasons why it is preferable that the track not be mapped then the mapper may decide not to add the track. By not proceeding, no copyright breach can occur.

However, your point is a good one, and it may be useful to add a caveat to the end of the text like the following...

“As always, copyrighted material in published reports should not be added to OSM.”