[talk-au] Mapping "off track" hiking routes

Phil Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Mon Oct 26 01:44:38 UTC 2020

Hi Andrew,

I would like to agree with you but after 30 years in the field I can tell you that ‘discouragement’ seldom works especially where self/club interest is at stake. It has taken a concerted effort to get this far and maintain some sense of order. The plethora of internet blogs makes it even harder and I monitor them as much as I can and regularly ask that they pull down GPS traces and hand drawn maps. Much information exchange goes on behind the scenes but at least then the individuals are making a conscious decision that they will accept the impacts of more visitors into areas that they have discovered themselves. Some folks, like me, don’t give out any information on these areas so they can be ‘discovered” just the same as I did.

Ironically, one of those reports lists several tracks that don’t appear on maps. If I make the full strategy available they will all be listed (in text form).

I would be happier with a do_not_render=yes but I suspect many will see that as a pretty useless tag (if you cant render it, why bother adding it and will it be honoured by renderers). It took us years to convince TASMAP that they should be responsible and not add the tracks to public maps. In return we  provided gps traces of most of the major walk tracks and assisted with information for the Parks Series of maps (I suspect their best sellers!).

Personally, I would still ask a mapper to remove the track if its in one of the track classes or areas where its not appropriate

Don’t get me wrong, Parks are for people to use but unfortunately the impacts can be high with very small numbers (in some environments) and the lack of detail on maps is just one technique that is used by managers at that remote end of the walking spectrum (or in delicate environments). Its holding some impacts at bay at the moment until more folks agree to numbers restrictions in some areas.

This may be more of an issue in Tasmania than other Australian states because of both the high conservation values and the remote/delicate nature of many areas.

Here is another good read on the Recreational Opportunity Spectrum/Landscape Classification System

http://www.projectnatureed.com.au/web%20library/micro-ROS.pdf

Cheers - Phil