[talk-au] Mapping each lane as a new way

Nemanja Bracko (E-Search) v-nebrac at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 26 20:29:50 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

My team has recognized that there are a couple of users who are repeatedly making questionable modeling choices.

We've contacted them, and while some specific issues were fixed, new ones kept appearing. We wanted to reach out and to hear your opinions on this matter.

User Supt_of_Printing<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Supt_of_Printing>

This user is not using existing ways but he adds a new way on top of the existing one, making a lot of duplicates. The example can be:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/819833424

There is a way that is classified as track, but just over the existing one he added a new unclassified road.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/746933130

The other type of issue that we recognized is roundabout modeling.

You can see in the provided example that way goes as a part of the roundabout. Also, it is noticeable that half of the roundabout has a [oneway] tag, but the other doesn't.

Users Map_baker<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Map_baker> and Supt_of_Printing<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Supt_of_Printing>

They have remodeled a couple of junctions so each lane is one way, like here:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/746563860/history

What's happening with this remodeling:

  *   Destination relations are broken;
  *   Bus routes are not connected properly;
  *   For navigation purposes additional turn restrictions would be needed to avoid unpleasant turn suggestions;
  *   In some cases, roads cross each other without an intersection point;
  *   It is impossible to apply correct lane information.

Another example of remodeling:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/789300431

There are no physical barriers, so it should be modeled as a single way, but the actual osm data is currently divided based on lane information.

Although we recognize that there are different approaches to modeling junctions, these users are creating a lot of issues by remodeling in this way.

Please can you advise what to do now since I believe that all osm users need to spend a significant amount of time checking all their previous edits?

Users Map_baker<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Map_baker> and travaudat<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/travaudat>

They are going across Australia and converting multiple way roundabouts into one. We had a discussion on Talk-AU about that, where I have tried to explain why it is not okay to do (since attributes may change within the roundabout), but I can see that practice has continued.

Thanks,
Nemanja