[talk-au] Port Phillip Steer Clear Areas Proposed Import

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 05:27:54 UTC 2020

The Victorian Ports Corporation (Melbourne) contacted me about adding their
Steer Clear Areas into OpenStreetMap/OpenSeaMap.

I worked through with them to get this dataset as open data
https://discover.data.vic.gov.au/dataset/steer-clear-areas-in-port-phillip and
to get the waiver in place
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:VPCM_OpenStreetMap_Approval.pdf.

I've prepared this data for import at
https://gist.github.com/andrewharvey/12e5753086585279d398f48035368876.

These are areas where it is illegal to anchor and identified by VicPorts as
Steer Clear areas
https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/community-and-bay-users/recreational-boating/Pages/boating-on-the-bay.aspx
.

I'm proposing we apply the
seamark:precautionary_area:restriction=no_anchoring tag per
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/Seamark_Objects. This is also
what VicPorts have requested to use for tags.

Are there any objections, questions, concerns, suggestions about importing
this into OpenStreetMap?

If I don't hear back I'll go ahead in a week.