[talk-au] Port Phillip Steer Clear Areas Proposed Import

Phil Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Wed Oct 28 06:39:37 UTC 2020

Great work Andrew,

I cant think of any objections at all!

Cheers - Phil

From: Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 28 October 2020 4:28 PM
To: OSM Australian Talk List <talk-au at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: [talk-au] Port Phillip Steer Clear Areas Proposed Import

The Victorian Ports Corporation (Melbourne) contacted me about adding their Steer Clear Areas into OpenStreetMap/OpenSeaMap.

I worked through with them to get this dataset as open data https://discover.data.vic.gov.au/dataset/steer-clear-areas-in-port-phillip and to get the waiver in place https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:VPCM_OpenStreetMap_Approval.pdf.

I've prepared this data for import at https://gist.github.com/andrewharvey/12e5753086585279d398f48035368876.

These are areas where it is illegal to anchor and identified by VicPorts as Steer Clear areas https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/community-and-bay-users/recreational-boating/Pages/boating-on-the-bay.aspx.

I'm proposing we apply the seamark:precautionary_area:restriction=no_anchoring tag per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/Seamark_Objects. This is also what VicPorts have requested to use for tags.

Are there any objections, questions, concerns, suggestions about importing this into OpenStreetMap?

If I don't hear back I'll go ahead in a week.