[talk-au] Australian maps for Garmin devices

Brendan Barnes brenbarnes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 23:06:05 UTC 2021

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021, 18:34 Warin, <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/4/21 1:19 pm, Bob Cameron wrote:
>
> Hi Brendan
>
> More just a remark.
>
> I was also interested in rolling my own mkgmap at one stage, but I also
> use the DEM/topo (SRTM) information and refreshing the OSM data is kind of
> expensive over a mobile network!
>
> My biggest pet peeve was that the Garmin device doesn't show road surface
> (like as a dashed line), but will happily exclude unsealed from routing
> decisions. I have been using it to make route/OSM/imagery update decisions
> as I wander around.
>

> OSMand can be set to show surface. It can also display access.  I have it
> set up that way for my walking.

Thanks for the suggestion, but OSMand is for Android. For Garmin it has to
be added to the styling rules during file processing.

> Cheers
> On 23/4/21 10:36 am, Brendan Barnes wrote:
>
> Prompted by Bob's post about alternativaslibres.org error file this
> morning (jogged my memory, thanks Bob).
>
> I use the alternativaslibres.org Australian maps for my Garmin GPS and
> Basecamp, so it is good to see other Aussies using that site.
>
> We used to have garmin.openstreetmap.nl, and in my opinion that was the
> best OSM Garmin map data for AU. Frequently updated, good clear carto on
> Basecamp, and clear map on GPS unit with decent file size. Sadly that site
> broke in June last year and looks unlikely to return.
>
> You can still get a map from them .. but it has to be the entire country.

That was the case intermittently last year, with the last AU country file
rendered June 2020. If you check the site today it just shows an Apache
server message only.

I tried contacting the site owner last year, to say it was an incredible
and invaluable service. A Netherlands OSM charter member got back to me
saying the group doesn't maintain the Garmin subdomain, only one solo
member, and that person was not responding to messages at the time.

If you read around on the OSM wiki, that site had intermittent issues for a
long time. It currently looks unlikely to return I'm afraid.