[talk-au] Mapping non-existent streets?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 23:09:39 UTC 2021

 Partially carrying on from my question the other day about houses going
between two streets, how do we map streets that physically aren't there any
more, but officially are?

On the Gold Coast, parts of a couple of streets facing the beach were
washed away by cyclone-caused erosion many years ago (1960s), & were never
re-built.

However, Council still has them listed as gazetted road reserves, even
though the only thing now existing is a footpath (if that!), & there are
houses that are numbered as being on those streets.

Now that I've confused you all nicely :-), here are some pictures that will
hopefully help!

Sorry, I wasn't able to include the actual image as it's too big, but
please open this file & have a look!
 image.png
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lWm0aE_cuozJ2wcQaCUyh4p1rM_0yHE9/view?usp=drive_web>

You can see that the street name on the grass says "Esplanade", & the
address of the place that is outlined in blue is 478 The Esplanade, Palm
Beach. Its (& the 4 other houses adjoining) only vehicle access is via a
driveway in from the Gold Coast Hwy to the west. One of the remaining
physical portions of The Esplanade is also visible just to the south, where
it stops, & becomes a grass footpath heading north, past the front of these
blocks.

Some street view images of this spot:

https://goo.gl/maps/trRhaj4XXQssddMK8

& looking back from the other way (clearly showing that there is no vehicle
access from The Esplanade):

https://goo.gl/maps/kYHNLCsDFgEuYg3R6

How it currently appears in OSM:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-28.10353/153.46432

So, what do we do with the non-existent street?

There's mention on the Oz Guidelines, which suggests leaving it tagged as a
highway=residential, but with no vehicle access?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#How_do_I_map_a_road_that_ISN.27T_there

Alternatively I could mark the existing path (actually tagged as a
bridleway) with either razed or removed highway=residential, but would I
then add the street name as well?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:razed:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:removed:

They could work when there is something there to tag, but in a different
location the same thing occurs with a missing road but there isn't even a
footpath in that area, just grass between the houses & the beach, but it's
still a named, gazetted road, with houses numbered off that road?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Graeme