[talk-au] Audible fences

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 07:32:28 UTC 2021

On 31/7/21 8:59 am, Bob Cameron wrote:
> Info only
>
> barrier=fence
> sensory=audible
>
> ie the squeaking screeching fences that supposedly replace cattle
> grids. I asked for input some months ago on how to map.
>
> With the recent ID editor update there is now a warning that a fence
> has to be a line, even though it is placed on the road.

The OSM wiki also claims a fence must be a line.

What physically is this 'screeching fence'?

Is it in the middle of the road like a cattle grid, or along the edge of
the road?

A single pole with the device on it?

Or is it 2 poles on opposite sides of the road with devices mounted one
them?

Or is it a series of poles along both sides of the road with devices on
them?

While for simplicity using a node on the road is good for the mapper it
is not good for the data consumer when used as a 'fence'. I would think
it is more of a different kind of 'cattle grid'. If you want something
that 'works' then use barrier=cattle_grid with method=acoustic, assuming
this will be used instead of a cattle grid and possibly a replacement in
future ... square peg in a round hole.

Or come up with something new

barrier=animal

method=acoustic