[talk-au] Sidewalks in Australia

Tom Brennan website at ozultimate.com
Tue Aug 10 02:55:35 UTC 2021

I've been using the current lockdown to walk and cycle all of the
streets of my LGA (Willoughby), and I've been checking back to OSM to
see if there's anything needing updating. For the most part it's just
minor edits here and there.

I had a couple of questions, one of which I'll address in this email:

highway=footway, footway=sidewalk or highway=*, sidewalk=*

Is there a view for Australia as to which method of mapping sidewalks
(yes, I'm using the US term because it's unambiguous here) should be
used? https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalks

At the moment there are a lot of separately mapped sidewalks in the
Willoughby LGA, but it's patchy at best. There are streets with
sidewalks mapped next to other unmapped streets, there are lots of
connectivity issues, sidewalks end unexpectedly. I don't intend to put
too much effort into cleaning it up, but where I do make changes, I'd
prefer to make things better rather than worse!

Hence my asking.

I'm not much of a fan of separately mapped sidewalks, because there tend
to be an infinite number of places you can walk/cross etc, and any
mapping fails to capture this. But I'm not too concerned with opening a
debate if it's already been prosecuted! Just with what the Australian
"standard" is.

cheers
Tom
----