[talk-au] Sidewalks in Australia

Stéphane Guillou stephane.guillou at member.fsf.org
Wed Aug 11 06:25:57 UTC 2021

Hi Tom

I'll also add my voice here, as I've been working on "sidewalks" in my
area as well: I agree with your summary.

I try to add sidewalks for precise pedestrian routing (with safe
crossing) and improved routing for wheelchair users (adding curb tags)
and visually impaired users (adding tactile paving tags). I follow
pretty much exactly what you listed at the moment, although I realised I
can improve my practice by using the more precise sidewalk:xxx=separate
on the roads (rather than just sidewalk=separate).

You can see my progress in the West End / Kurilpa area:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-27.4810/153.0120&layers=C

A good place to test pedestrian or wheelchair routing is
OpenRouteService: https://maps.openrouteservice.org

Cheers