[talk-au] highway=service

Tom Brennan website at ozultimate.com
Sat Aug 14 22:50:26 UTC 2021

On 14/08/2021 11:59 am, Andrew Harvey wrote:
>> 2. driveways (private property) -> service=driveway + access=private
>> This seems pretty clear cut in residential areas. It also seems fairly
>> clear for small business/industrial property that are for
>> employees/business vehicles only.
>>
>> Where it gets a bit confusing is if the driveway is to something else.
>> For example, in the Willoughby area, there are many industrial complexes
>> which have "driveways". But if it leads to parking (amenity=parking?),
>> is it still a driveway, or is it just highway=service without service=*.
>> The access=* issues also interplays with this - because in larger
>> industrial complexes there may be a mix of access=private and
>> access=customers.
>>

> Can you post examples? In my opinion, a good rule of thumb for driveway is
> where you need to turn off the road and cross the footpath. I realise it's
> not always clear though.
>
> Technically only the section inside the front fence is private, the section
> between the footpath and road is public but I've never mapped to this level
> of detail.

This is an example of a residential driveway (highway=service +
service=driveway) that I would add access=private to. I agree with your
comment about only the section inside the property actually being
private, but that distinction really only becomes important once
footpaths are more frequently mapped as highway=footway + footway=sidewalk
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/448093794

This is an example of an industrial complex that has driveways (or
access roads?) leading to numerous small businesses. Currently
highway=service, no access or service tags. Access is not clear to me
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/778526062

This is an example of an industrial area driveway (highway=service +
service=driveway) that I would add access=private to (local knowledge).
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/893221380

This is an example of an industrial complex that has a mix (6 ways
total) of highway=service, highway=service + service=parking_aisle and
highway=service + service=driveway(!). Signs at the gate describe it as
a "road-related area" which I believe means that it is accessible by the
public - though I don't think that necessarily extends to any parking.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=19/-33.81625/151.19273

cheers
Tom
----