[talk-au] Converting railway= abandoned to highway=track

Josh Marshall josh.p.marshall at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 22:18:22 UTC 2021

Thanks for the feedback, Jono, Mike, Ewen, good points.

I had considered already where the proposed trail or current accessible
track deviates from the old railway, as there are indeed some collapsed
bridges and deviations: some of the cuttings are completely overgrown and
so the accessible track goes around on the high side. So I will do those as
separate ways, but for where the new track matches the railway exactly I
will double-tag the way. It's not actually open to vehicles from the public
(there's some illegal 4wding happening at times), so will tag no to vehicle
access.

I checked the Fernleigh Track on OpenRailwayMap
https://www.openrailwaymap.org/?lang=null&lat=-32.94859657974205&lon=-208.28267097473145&zoom=15&style=standard
re: having the ways tagged as both highway=? and railway=abandoned and it
shows up fine there.

I will do a new relation for the proposed trail and update the old one with
the missing segments (and TIL "gunzel"... interesting origin on that term
:O - I'm not one myself but I can appreciate the hobby and will be careful
to keep them happy.)

Will use all your links as references and reply again when I'm done. Once
I've done the updates, I will wait until they filter through to the fitness
sites and then go check it all on the ground again.