[talk-au] Solar Farm

Cameron de Witte cameron at dewitte.id.au
Sat Feb 27 02:04:09 UTC 2021

While it could technically be an import it doesn't really look like some
big automatic change, a lot of manual work seems to have gone into it
(entire wind farms mapped, sites of power stations cleaned up etc.),
just the tagging data seems to be the most problematic thing given the
claimed source for the data.

https://www.aemo.com.au/energy-systems/electricity/national-electricity-market-nem/nem-forecasting-and-planning/forecasting-and-planning-data/generation-information
works for me and contains a spreadsheet "NEM Generation Information Jan
2021" which is an aggregated list of all generators and owners, and
probably the source file for a lot of tags.

I've never really looked closely at AEMO's licensing information:
https://www.aemo.com.au/privacy-and-legal-notices/copyright-permissions
but it does contain this weird statement:

 > In addition to the uses permitted under copyright laws, AEMO confirms
its general permission for anyone to use AEMO Material for any purpose,
but only with accurate and appropriate attribution of the relevant AEMO
Material and AEMO as its author.

I'm still not convinced that makes it okay for OSM use, and at the very
least would probably need clearer tags to confirm AEMO as the source.

Perhaps we're moving a bit off the topic of a solar farm now and need to
split this topic off... :)