[talk-au] Funding for OpenStreetMap initiatives

Brendan Barnes brenbarnes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 04:26:28 UTC 2021

Agree drones have legalities. It is the full responsibility of the pilot
operator to adhere to all laws and regulations, and determine if it's a
commercial flight or not. I'm familiar with Australian drone legislation,
but other countries in Oceania will have their own drone rules to operate
under.

However unless you're in NSW with DCS Imagery, a lot of other state and
country aerial imagery comes from Bing as the highest quality currently
available, which can be hard to determine capture date. Having the compute
power available in the community to convert pilot's open source JPG
sequences into orthorectified imagery would provide a new source of
community-derived current aerial imagery. As we can see with the
OpenAerialMap project, there's very few contributors currently in our
region https://map.openaerialmap.org/

Loan equipment programs in other OSM regions charge a small fee to renters.
It is used for cost-recovery for the equipment shipping, return, and other
overheads.