[talk-au] [EXTERNAL] Re: Low quality road classification contributions in SA via Microsoft Open Maps Team - contact point?

cleary osm at 97k.com
Thu Jul 22 06:22:22 UTC 2021

Graeme

I don't think that gates necessarily limit public right of access.  I have driven and mapped roads in Winton, Boulia, Julia Creek, Cloncurry  and areas in the far west of Queensland and quite a few public roads have gates to stop cattle straying where there is an unfenced public road through private property. I have always tried to add such gates in OSM.  Roads can be public although the land on either side is private. I don't know the specific Queensland legislation but I just did a quick search and found the following referring to gates across public roads in the Flinders Shire: https://www.flinders.qld.gov.au/our-infrastructure/roads/gates-and-grids   I presume other areas have similar provisions. For drivers on these roads, the general rule is that you leave gates as you find them and watch out for the farmer's livestock. If gates are closed when you reach them, close them again after you have driven through. If someone has better information, I will defer but as far as I am aware, the presence or absence of gates does not necessarily make a road public or private.

So I'm not sure that what you saw in south-east Queensland is transferable to the SA roads issue.

But I will add that, as I live in Sydney and am currently subject to lockdown because of covid in the community, I am insanely jealous that you can go driving in the countryside.