[talk-au] [EXTERNAL] Re: Low quality road classification contributions in SA via Microsoft Open Maps Team - contact point?

cleary osm at 97k.com
Fri Jul 23 02:00:37 UTC 2021

In regard to mapping gates, I have tagged barrier=gate.

Where roads have public access on both sides of a gate, I presumed that access through the gate was apparent. In hindsight, perhaps it was remiss of me to presume that the absence of an access tag would be interpreted as access=yes. I don't think I have added access=yes unless I thought there was any doubt. I have added locked=yes where public roads become private but I don't think I have ever added locked=no.

In future, I will add access=* and locked=* to any gates.

Not sure about other states but, in NSW, local governments have gradually replaced gates with cattle grids, so that it becomes easier for vehicles to drive through into the next property without the inconvenience of gates. Farm owners are usually unwilling to incur the expenditure when it is for other people's benefit and may lead to increased traffic through their farms, but local governments are willing to do it. Consequently, over time, it has been possible to re-map some gates as cattle grids. However the Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) is the only source of funds in NSW Unincorporated Area so that gates remain on many roads there.