[talk-au] Roads in Industrial Estates: Residential, Unclassified or Service?

Adam Horan ahoran at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 08:00:26 UTC 2021

I've seen that roads in local industrial estates have a mix of tagging.
Some are highway=residential, and some highway=unclassified. I'm referring
to the normal public roads within the industrial estate, and not the other
roads that often go to shared units or behind units.

Tagging them as residential just *seems* wrong to me.

>From the wiki it seems that highway=service is perhaps the most
suitable:  *"For
access roads to, or within an industrial estate, camp site, business park,
car park, alleys, etc. Can be used in conjunction with service=* to
indicate the type of usage and with access=* to indicate who can use it and
in what circumstances."*

An example of an estate with predominantly *highway=unclassified*
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-38.0964/145.1687

A small one that's mostly *highway=residential*
https://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=-38.09231&lon=145.16617#map=17/-38.08228/145.24485
A typical road in this estate
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=2870441486503883

A large estate that's a mix of *tertiary *and *residential*
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-38.0263/145.2131

Roads like this one https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=301424184769146
which don't appear to be public roads, and are usually concrete rather than
asphalt, I would consider to be more clearly service roads. This one
doesn't appear on Vic Map.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Adam