[talk-au] Roads in Industrial Estates: Residential, Unclassified or Service?

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Jul 23 11:59:58 UTC 2021

Hi Adam,

Yes, I agree mapping them as residential is totally wrong. I just
checked Map Features to see if the definition has drifted off but no,
same as always:
"The tag highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=residential is used on
roads that are used for accessing residential areas and in residential
areas but which are not normally used as through routes (which would
usually be unclassified highways, tertiary highways, etc.) "

unclassified vs. service can be harder, even when mapping on the ground.
If there is no restriction on getting into the estate and the road is
leading past or to more than one business, unclassified. Particularly if
they are named. If there is a gate, then I think harder about using service.

Mike