[talk-au] Victorian Vicmap Address Import Proposal

Andrew Harvey andrew at alantgeo.com.au
Thu Jun 10 10:55:36 UTC 2021

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021, at 5:36 PM, Benjamin Ceravolo wrote:
> How is address going to be 'placed' onto the map, I assume a node?
>
> My primary question is where is the node going to be placed?
>
> Will it be placed in the centre of the property/parcel? If so, they will be fine in denser areas but how effective will they be in rural areas, will they need to be moved to near the driveway/gate manually? or is this a non-issue?

I touch on this at https://gitlab.com/alantgeo/vicmap2osm/-/tree/master#where-should-addresses-exist, yes it will be on a node, and the location of the node is wherever Vicmap has it.

Where the address is already in OSM it will be left at its existing location, and new addresses imported can be manually moved post import by mappers if they like.

> In the case of a subdivision where there is common property, will the common property receive its own address, as on VicPlan it shows a separate address for both the common property and the units? (see example)

As it currently stands, yes. At that specific location 1/37 and 2/37 addresses from vicmap were matched with existing addresses in OSM (so nothing imported), and a new third address of 37 would be imported.

What do you think should happen here?

I will post the candidate import files here shortly, I'm just still working to make sure I've covered everything I'm aware of on my side first.