[talk-au] The Paradox of Postcodes (Was Re: Victorian Vicmap Address Import Proposal - Suburb and Postcode discussion)

Adam Horan ahoran at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 08:08:56 UTC 2021

The ABS have an interesting factsheet on postcodes and their own 'Postal
Area' interpretation (POA).
https://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/factsheetspoa
It starts with this statement:
*"A postcode is a four digit number used by Australia Post to assist with
mail delivery. Australia Post does not currently define geographic
boundaries for postcodes. However, a number of organisations, such as PSMA
Australia Limited, create geographic boundaries that aim to define the
geographic extent of the mail delivery area for each postcode. Defining
postcodes with a geographic boundary is an imprecise process, and this is
demonstrated by the fact that there are variations in boundaries released
by different organisations."*

Some postcodes cross state boundaries, one example is 3644 which covers
Cobram in VIC and Lalalty in NSW
https://auspost.com.au/postcode/lalalty
https://auspost.com.au/postcode/cobram/vic/dgee
https://www.google.com/maps/place/VIC+3644/

There are also regions with no postcode, eg parts of the wilderness in West
Tasmania.

Some postcodes cover non-contiguous areas eg 3585 which is in two parts
https://www.google.com/maps/place/VIC+3585/

In VIC at least shapefiles for postcodes exist, I didn't search more
broadly. The VIC data is aligned to property boundaries.
https://services.land.vic.gov.au/SpatialDatamart/dataSearchViewMetadata.html?anzlicId=ANZVI0803003521&extractionProviderId=1

and
https://discover.data.vic.gov.au/dataset/postcode-boundaries-polygon-vicmap-admin

Google seems to have pretty accurate shapes for postcodes - but no idea of
their sourcing.

Regards,

Adam