[talk-au] OSGeo Oceania tree planting and mapping day

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 07:44:04 UTC 2021

 Thank you Tony for announcing this.
   This will hopefully be a wonderful day for the Wellington FOSS4G/SOTM
conference carbon offsetting initiative. FOSS4G stands for  "Free and Open
Source for Geospatial Conference" and SOTM is "State of the Map" and both
designed to improve the usage of OSM and genuine open source tools.

   The next local FOSS4G/SOTM conference, run by OSGEO-Oceania, is in
November with most capital cities hopefully having a local site.

    For those of us in Victoria, Tony and the OSGEO-Oceania board would
love to see you there to catch up and talk all things Geo whilst planting a
dozen trees each. These trees are not higher than about a foot so planting
will be a doddle.

  The area 10km north of the planting site has gone through
significant damage to the tree canopy. This is a shot of one of 47 mature
fallen trees I counted in a normal 35 minute walk yesterday and some of
these at 75-85mtrs long. See
https://twitter.com/SkillsyV2/status/1406517300103024643?s=20

   If you need a lift from Melbourne or the Belgrave Railway Station, give
a shout out to Tony or myself and let's get out there and shrug off the
last lock down.

Ewen Hill
OSGeo-Oceania Board Member

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 at 11:19, <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Victorians
>
> OSGeo Oceania tree planting and mapping day is coming up on
> 17-Jul-2021. It was canceled in 2020 because of Covid19
>
> FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 conference chose to do an environmental
> planting in lieu of purchasing carbon offsets for the 2019 NZ
> conference. More background at
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BbmRF241Vd4QWZRt6l6FBWwtklzhg-ghgbnm2N9YQ6M/edit
>
> Churchill National Park is part of Greater Melbourne, the planting and
> mapping will proceed subject to Covid19 rules on that day.
>
> If attending, please register at
>
> https://www.parkconnect.vic.gov.au/Volunteer/public-planned-activity/?id=c38ff798-914c-ea11-b698-0003ff6f5db4
>
> Thanks
> Tony Forster