[talk-au] Street Lamps

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 09:53:46 UTC 2021

Hi Andrew,
   You might have some luck with Mapillary that you can use as the cheat
sheet which you are able to use. It's probably best you see if you can get
the waiver process through and whilst it may take some time, this will be
in the long term the best path forward for both you and the OSM community.

Regards

Ewen

On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 19:38, Andrew Munday <dazzilitchi8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip on responding. I have been mapping street lamps based
> on my own knowledge and the ones that I can spot on the aerial photography.
> Would it be allowed to use the dataset as a kind of "cheat sheet" as in to
> see where they are roughly and then use the aerial imagery to line them up
> exactly?
>
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 12:27 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 at 11:08, Andrew Munday <dazzilitchi8 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry again for not really knowing what I'm doing with the mailing list
>>> thing. I hope this doesn't start a new thread.
>>>

>> Don't worry, Andrew! We've all had an oops moment :-)
>>
>> To keep everything together, find the post that you want to respond to,
>> click on "Reply - All" & go to it.
>>
>> It's entirely up to you just how you want to format it:
>>
>> - just type on the blank page you've been given, which will leave the
>>
>> - do as I've done here, & insert your reply into the body of the previous
>> message, by picking a spot that you want to comment on, hit "Enter", which
>> will give you a new line, & go from there
>>
>> - go down to the bottom of the message & put your reply there - any of
>> them are perfectly acceptable.
>>
>> I reverted the automated changesets that I did using the reverter plugin
>>> on JOSM (that's how the wiki said to do it).
>>>

>> An alternative (& possibly easier?) way, is to find the changes that you
>> made, then simply undo them eg delete the light pole node that you put in,
>> then add a comment "Light pole deleted as copied from unavailable data" or
>> similar.
>>
>> & there's nothing at all to stop you from mapping street lights (or
>> anything else!) from personal knowledge! If you're working in your local
>> area, have a walk around the block & make note that there are lights
>> outside #4, 12 & 20. Depending on how good the available overhead imagery
>> is in your area, you can sometimes even do the same by mapping the lights
>> that are visible.
>>
>> Keep having fun, & ask as many questions as you want / need to!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Graeme

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill